Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An Unnecessary Confrontation


Click to enlarge

OK so this just happened to me on a quick trip to the corner store. I saw this big ugly bald guy beginning to walk across the street from a set of apartments -- toward the same store I was driving to. He had basically just stepped down onto the road from the ramp that leads up into the parking area for the apartments. I knew I had plenty of time to continue on, without causing him to fear being hit, but I slowed down and made sure he was gonna allow me to do so.

So I park on the side of the store like always. Being the nonconfrontationalist that I am, I waited for him to pass my door before getting out. He proceeds to turn around, and this is the dialogue that ensued:


Him: Good thing I wasn't in your way there dude.. (sarcastically)

Me: Nah..

Him: Oh I wasn't huh? (more sarcasm)

Me: I wasn't gonna hit you.

Him: So much for pedestrians having the right of way.

Me: You mean when you were jay-walking across the street in a dark shirt at night?

Him: Jay walking, my ass..

Me: There's no crosswalk right there - What do you expect me to do, stop right there in the middle of the street?

Him: For a pedestrian, yeah I do!

Me: I was just turning left, and I had plenty of time, Jesus Christ..

Him: Don't bring him into it, he didn't do anything wrong.

Me: Neither did I.


We were already inside the store at this point, and the clerk and another guy were looking at both of us as if there was about to be a gun fight.

I waited in line behind him.. He made his purchase, and turned around and glared at me like a serial killer on his way by.

I was like, "Did that really just happen for no necessary reason whatsoever???"

3 comments:

  1. Better be glad he wasn't on a bicycle they are freakin NUTS. I had a run in with a bicyclist who was riding his bike in the middle of the right lane of Mopac in Austin. There was a whole line of cars stuck behind him. I finally passed him and got off. He followed me and came up to my car and started threatening me while I waited at the light. After I left he had the nerve to call the cops and tell them I threatened him. They investigated and found that there were witnesses that agreed with me. Which is the only thing that saved me from being arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! Were you the first one in that line?

    And THAT would be why bicycles are illegal on interstate highways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the middle lane (which was moving) and realized that I need to get off so I got in the right lane just after passing the bicyclist. By the way, I think that is what set him off. He was enjoying his power over the cars behind him.

    You are right, bicycles are illegal on the highway (the policeman I spoke with confirmed this), however, that does not stop bicyclist from riding there and forcing everyone else to follow behind them.

    ReplyDelete