Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dream Theater Minus Portnoy



I am sickened.

The greatest drummer who has ever lived has just made the stupid decision to leave my favorite of all-time band. No, Neil Peart didn't leave Rush. But that's the only analogy I can think of, other than Michael Jordan Leaving the Bulls in 1993 to go play for the Lakers. Or maybe Jerry Seinfeld leaving his own show around season #5 or #6 and choosing to go start his own cooking show.

I am thoroughly sickened that someone would let go of their dream. I don't honestly know if it is Mike Portnoy's dream to be a major factor in Dream Theater for 25 years.. or much longer. It would be mine!

As I posted a few hours ago, Mike Portnoy has decided to leave Dream Theater. I have no idea what he's thinking. Perhaps he's drunk? Or smoking crack. A heroin binge? What a stupid thing to do. Avenged Sevenfold is who he's recently been touring with - filling in for them due to the death of their drummer. Avenged Sevenfold is 1/100th of what Dream Theater is! And the other side projects Portnoy is involved in are probably even less than that in the eyes of most of his fans. DT is MP (and John Petrucci), but more importantly MP is DT!

I honestly don't think I would be as upset and pissed at the same time had the guy been killed in a horrible accident or something! At least that would leave lasting memories of his legacy, legend, and future. As it is now, Dream Theater will certainly struggle to maintain what popularity they did have. In my opinion it was never as high as it should have been. A ton of the millions of DT fans would say that a lot of what DT did have - was in fact mostly because of Mike Portnoy.

I know the other guys are extremely talented, and I sincerely wish John Petrucci the best.. because it's gonna be even harder now. Holy cow..

C'mon Mike - please change your mind. Tons of us will never go to another DT concert without you there. Yeah you got that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment