Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How Daft Punk Ripped-off Eddie Johns

I don't listen to Daft Punk. I do have to admit that their song "One More Time" is a little catchy. It kinda stays with you.. blah blah blah.

I also don't listen to Eddie Johns. I had actually never even heard of him, nor this song, until I ran across the story of this blatant plagiarism somewhere on the Internets.

I'm not gonna post the individual songs here, but I will link to them. After reading this post, you can not tell me that Daft Punk didn't totally rip these guys off. They attempted to "sample" Johns's "More Spell On You", and ended up with a total and complete plagiarism.

Here is More Spell On You, by Eddie Johns. Take a few seconds to listen to some of it, as well as the next one too: Here is One More Time, by Daft Punk.

How they did it:

Source

And another breakdown here.

You decide.

2 comments:

  1. Thomas Bangalter's father, Daniel, produced Eddie Johns' song back in 1979. They most likely got permission from him to use the sample. Do your homework before writing stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They wouldn't need permission to write something that is different than what Johns wrote. If you do a cover and put it on an album, you need permission. If you re-do a song, you need permission. If you take influence from a song, or use tiny snippets of another song, as they did, and turn it into something else, you don't need permission. Even though the video shows clearly what they did, they have also completely denied that it is in any way plagiarism.

    Even if what you say is true, and I see that it may very well be, thanks for letting me know, but you can't deny that it's a clever rip-off.

    I didn't do the video. I merely found it and shared it. I also credited the video's writer. I'm simply offering my opinion, and I'm allowed to do so. You don't have to be a very musically-inclined individual, as I am, to agree that it's cleverly ripped-off.

    ReplyDelete