Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Swingin' Any Music

Image Source

The Swinger is a bit of python code that takes any song and makes it swing. It does this be taking each beat and time-stretching the first half of each beat while time-shrinking the second half. It has quite a magical effect.

Swinger uses the new Dirac time-stretching capabilities of Echo Nest remix. Source code is available in the samples directory of remix.

"Dont Stop Believin'" - Journey
Don't Stop Believin' (Swing Version) by plamere

"Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns 'n' Roses
Sweet Child O' Mine (Swing Version) by plamere

My notes:
There is actually a great version of "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, which I thought sounded better than the original (lol) - until somewhere at the end of the solo (3:20), everything gets all screwed-up, and the rhythm got totally backwards from where it should be. As explained, the algorythm doesn't understand syncopation.

This is the stuff I was BORN to do for a living. I remember when I was a teen - probably 14 or 15.. I was using the all-new double cassette features of brand new stereos to mix & dub all sorts of things. I made mixes of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dio (RIP), and even farts. Kudos to these guys!!!!1

Continue to the rest of the samples!

Via

No comments:

Post a Comment