Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Perfect Case For Complete Instant Replay Review in MLB

OK I've watched this video over and over and over and it appears to me that there is no one in the world who had a better look at this play than umpire Jerry Meals.


Via

With runners on second and third with one out, Braves pitcher Scott Proctor chopped a ball to third baseman Pedro Alvarez who threw home to catcher Michael McKenry who swiped a tag across the leg of the Julio Lugo.

Meals called Lugo safe and the Braves won 4-3 after six hours and 10 minutes. McKenry yelled at Meals, "I got him." Pirates manager Clint Hurdle rushed from the dugout to complain. The call has ignited debate about instant replay and prompted the Pirates to file a complaint with Major League Baseball.
(USA Today)

I don't know. The throw beat him by a mile. The issue is whether Meals saw a tag or not. It looks as if he may have missed the first swipe on the knee, but even had a second chance further up, a millisecond later, on the back of the arm. Some of the clips I've watched have a slow-motion segment that shows each possibility in a little more clarity, but no camera angle I've seen has shown me definitive proof that there was a tag. I guess the only two people who really know are McKenry and Lugo.

Nevertheless, here is umpire Jerry Meals' post-game statement: "McKenry caught the ball and made a swipe-tag attempt at Lugo sliding. I did not see any tag. After that I ruled him safe. [But] after coming into the locker room, I reviewed the incident through our videos we have in here, and after seeing a few of them on one particular replay, I was able to see that Lugo's pant leg moved ever so slightly when the swipe-tag was attempted by McKenry. That's telling me I was incorrect in my decision, and he should have been ruled out, not safe." (USA Today)

This is why you utilize instant replay whenever you can. The call was questionable, and upon a first review my any average viewer, it's fair to say that an official review would have been warranted. More so the call itself was a crucial call - much like those in the last 2-minutes of an NBA game and NFL games. C'mon MLB, get with the program, and follow suit!!

Full USA Today article here..

No comments:

Post a Comment