Friday, August 13, 2010

Our Plecostomus



Just thought I'd post a couple pictures of our plecostomus. I've had lots of fish in my lifetime, and I've had plenty of plecostomus (plecostomi?). But I've never had one live this long nor get this big. He's about 7" head to tail, and really fat, compared to other plecostomus pictures I've seen recently.

He's also very aggressive, and likes to chase the other fish we have in the tank. He even eats regular fish food when I feed them, as is not normally what you'd expect, since they are bottom-feeders and algae eaters. Sometimes we'll drop in one of those algae tablets to give him his own stuff to eat, and if it's dropped right in front of him, he'll grab it before it has a chance to dissolve, and sit there and eat it like a cookie. It's pretty funny.

We've decided to get another old tank ready and move him in there by himself for a while, which also might allow him to grow a little more. We don't think he's gonna get much bigger given the size of our 25-gallon hexagon tank.

Click the images to get a better look.

4 comments:

  1. He's quite handsome in an angry old man kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne.. Yeah and he's only about 5 years old. Gonna be interesting to see how much bigger he gets with a new tank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! He's even bigger now, as these were taken 6 months ago. I should probably post an updated picture. :D Still no new tank though.. just feeding him like there's no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete